I just got two old flash units and after some playing around I thought it would be fun to get the flash unit further away from the camera, so there came the idea. I started finding some miscellaneous stuff to use for the cord and after a while I had a base ready:
The metal part is a little slice of a metal band that has holes in it (can't remember the name) and below it there is a 1mm thick plastic layer to make the base a little bit thicker so it would stay on the camera.
After the base was ready I started doing a spring system for the middle terminal. Just soldered a little piece of wire on to a spring taken from a pen and after a while it looked like this:
Spring system attached to the base:
After the camera side of the cord was ready I started doing the holder for the flash unit itself. The middle terminal is a shell casing of a small-bore rifle round because I have a bunch of those lying around. I soldered a piece of wire to the shell casing (the blurry red wire behind the holder).
Flash holder finished and covered with black electrical tape to make it look even a little bit nicer:
DIY flash cord finished and a flash unit attached to the holder. The cover of the camera side is a serial port connectors cover.
A test shot with the cord. The flash unit is in my other hand, pointed at the ceiling to give a nice even lighting.
Works very nicely, but the spring system got jammed somehow in the building phase and it is too stiff right now. The next version of the DIY flash cord will include a better spring system for the middle terminal, more ports to run more than one flash unit simultaneously and a trigger voltage converter so I can run older flash units that have a too high trigger voltage (>200V).
Remove this ad by registering or by logging in.
Login with your Facebook account to comment: